This is my background. My concept was, what would a theme park look like in a post-apocalyptic world(or zombie take-over). Again, time was an issue, but using flats really helped me out. I wanted it to feel eerie and desolate. This is definitely not complete, as I had so much to add, and may revisit it and finish it.
This is my car painting. I do not generally enjoy creating mechanical/inorganic things, but I do enjoy Transformers. So that brought on the idea and inspiration to paint a car based on the Autobot symbol. This was a really good exercise on knowing your planes, because I found, the little planes of a car are actually numerous and subtle. Also light hitting metal was quite difficult. I found the use of flats very helpful in this one. Overall, I was happy with how it turned out. Although there can be more fixes, I feel that for my first time doing a car, it wasn't that bad.
This is my creature painting. In my early thought process, I wanted him to be swinging from tree branch to tree branch from a high angle, and looking down on the forest. Unfortunately, time-wise, I couldn't do it, so I just painted the creature instead. This is my first time playing with fur. I think it turned out alright, but I could have pushed the fuzziness of the fur a little bit more...
Here is my process for the Hands and Face painting. My concept was to make a character from Avatar: The Last Airbender. I wanted to make a water bender. I was happy with the pose and the composition, but not so happy with how the water came out. I wanted it to be more see through, but it was just really difficult with the time constraints. I also had trouble with the foreshortened arm/hand pose. Overall, I liked the feel of it, and might even work on it and define it more.
This is my b/w background tonal. We had a choice of a variety of different light sources, and I chose to do the light source coming from the lamp behind the couch. I feel that I got the glow of the lamp on the right track. However, I wish I would've had more time with cleaning up the flats/lines as some edges are not very nice looking. It was a good exercise on lighting though.
Here is my fishy. My concept was a betta crossed with that frilly dinosaur that killed the big guy in Jurassic Park. I had a bit of a problem with how dark the right eye got and how much lighter the left part of his head was. I also had a real difficulty painting the scales and actually did them one scale at a time because at the time, I didn't know how to use the copy and paste trick. I wish I could've worked on his tail more, maybe round them out more. I think I focused on his head a little too much time-wise but overall, I like how it turned out.